Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rankings of Ohio players

Someone emailed me Rivals Top 60 rankings of Ohio's 212 class. Usually, I do not get caught upon rankings, nor do I read the list, but I skimmed this one. If this list is for real, I am slipping in my evaluations. Rivals, Scout, and some independent football recruiting writers provide fun reading for recruiting fans. Sometimes, the list lites up message boards and stirs good, clean debating. The rankings also provide material for print media.

Ranking prospects as to whom are the top 100 is too hard and too time consuming for me. However, I do rate prospects for colleges as to what level I think a prospect can play. Although my information leaks out sometimes, it is pretty much between the college coach and me.

As you read the rankings, enjoy them, but do not take them too seriously. Heights and weights are usually stretched. Sometimes politics come into play. One player on Rivals' list is not playing high school football this fall. Players will improve, players will stay the same, and some players will not perform as well as they should. Because of this, rankings will change over the course of the season.

College coaches constantly remind recruiting fans, "It takes two years to see how a Class ranks." With that reminder, I wonder how Taylor Decker, Ifeadi Odenigbo, Tom Strobel, Tyler Orlosky, Chris Wormley, and Maty Mauk will grade out in two years?

No comments: