Sunday, May 22, 2011

Three Sport Guy - Chris Wormley

The evaluating of college bound football players, for obvious reasons, is very important to me. Sometimes those evaluations take time, because I get calls from college coaches wanting to know how I compare different players. With high profile prospects, I evaluate them thoroughly. Trust me, I do not rely on what others have said. Chris Wormley was one of those guys I evaluated.

As a sophomore, one could see his potential, but only a sophomore and he needed to play harder and more often. Last year, watched him against Massillon and his motor was fine tuned. Played hard and made plays. Strong off the edge and good burst. Last winter watched him play basketball against Toledo Central Catholic. Moved well in the paint. Solid rebounder. Long arms. Never changed his expression, but was very determined. Above all he competed.

This past Wednesday, drove to the District Track Meet in Toledo. One of the guys I wanted to see was Chris Wormley. Has really worked on trimming down his body. Long. Looks good at 6'6 - 270. Excellent balance in the shot and discus rings. Came into the meet with a 170 discus toss to his credit. First throw - 129 feet. Second throw - 131 feet. Won the discus with a throw of 161 feet in the finals. On Saturday won the shot with a put of 53'2.

Talked with a Whitmer dad at the Nike Combine. He said that Chris would loved to have been there, because he just "loves to compete."

Early I did not have Chris rated as high as some other DL guys. Now I do. Problem- eventually I see him as at DT, rather at DE. If he makes the switch, he will be one of the quickest inside guys around. Chris wants to stay at DE, but DT could be a money maker.

Talked with him briefly. Wished him luck. His comment, "Thank you, sir." Never too late to evaluate. Chris Wormley is special. His actions speak louder than his words

No comments: