Thursday, June 28, 2012

Evaluating Quarterbacks in the Class of 2014

Football people will probably not believe this, but I was one of the best touch football quarterbacks in my class back in the middle 60's. Perfect form. Tite spiral. As they say now, I could "spin-it." But at 5'11-215, I had to play LB/OC when the pads went on. Few coaches develop QB's anymore. I guess that is why I like to watch QB's.

I am trying to get my 7on7 schedule down. This Saturday, I will be at Dublin Coffman for the State 7on7. Yes, I know- 7on7 is an underwear game. But I really learn alot about QB's, and for that matter, alot about skilled players. If you watch QB's closely, you can learn a little about their leadership qualities, too.

For me, everything starts at the bottom and works to the top. Feet and footwork is huge. Where are the feet in relationship to the hips? Do they open the hips? Are the core and back musles strong? Where does the throwing hand end up on follow thru? Finally, does the QB make good decisions?

I have 30 quarterbacks on my list in the Class of 2014. Another 8 are listed as quarterback/athlete and will be moved to another postion. With that said, attending 7on7's is every important to me. There will be some good quarterbacks at Dublin Coffman on Saturday. Actually, I need to catch a couple of B team games, because I like a some really young QB's too.

Some  quarterbacks who are on my list to watch in the Ohio Class of 2014
DeShone Kiser - Toledo Central Catholic
Chris Durkin - Youngstown Ursuline
Jeremy Holley - Elyria Catholic
Cody Calloway - Midview
Rammy Finnegan - Columbus Whetstone
Adam Bertke - Marion Local
Tyler Jones - Lakota West
Joey Duckworth - Louisville
Jared Brandewie - Bishop Hartley
Kevin Rogers - Cicinnati Anderson
Grant Russell - Newark
Austin Dorris - Shadyside
Will Marty - Cincinnati Wyoming
Tatavion Pauldo - Cleveland Central Catholic
Qwan Robinson - Cleveland Glenville
Noah Silberhorn - Toledo St Johns
Jordan Aekins - Reynoldsburg
Caleb Beans - New Philadelphia
Mike LaManna - Cleveland St Ignatius
Nate Klingenberger - Colonel Crawford
Myles Fowler - Columbus Westland
Jalen Wells - Thomas Worthington (QB/ATH)
Dareian Watkins - Galion (QB/ATH)
Kendrick Mallory - Trotwood Madison (QB/WR)
Mike Berry - Dayton Beavercreek (QB/OLB)

Over the course of the summer and into fall, I am sure some other quarterbacks in the Ohio Class of 2014 will develop and need to be evaluated. I have seen all of the prospects at one time or another, but getting a good look at them competing as juniors is imperative.



No comments: