Thursday, April 4, 2013

MSR Known in Canada

       The more that I am around this business, the more nothing surprises me. Learning the internet world is a constant challenge for me. Yesterday, I received a call, from a young recruit in Ottawa, Canada, which educated me on both, "offers" and the internet challenge.
      As many of  you know I take "offers" with a grain of salt. Most recruits and parents of recruits take the word "offer" and run with it. Some recruits collect "offers" as in a contest. Recruiting reporters on recruiting websites really do not want a recruit to commit early, because no more offers - fewer stories about the recruit. Some college programs put out "offers" to every potential recruit. One school in the Midwest sent my 87 year old mother an "offer." Her arthritis hurts her chances at being a quarterback. He still drives a car, however. Finally , some larger programs are sending out "conditional offers." The school will give you an offer, but if you do not perform well at their camp, they can take back the offer. Wow! And, yes, it happens.
       Twin brothers from Ottawa, Canada called yesterday. They are cornerbacks, They reached out to me, because they noticed my website while searching for recruiting services within the USA. They need someone within the United States to aid and assist in their recruiting efforts.
      They have three offers from three schools in the East. But they are looking for someone knows coaches in the Midwest. Someone who can get their tapes out there. Someone who has some connections.
      I told them to send me an email, which they did, and sent me a phone number to contact them. They are willing to send me highlight tapes of themselves,  if needed.
      Being a "kid's guy," I am not making light of this situation, because helping kids is what I do. But out of the clear blue sky, I get this call and then an email. I was beginning to think, "scam." My father-in-law, last fall, got taken for three thousand dollars in a "scam." McCallister is cautious and poor. Maybe I watch too many "20-20" shows.
       This morning I called the three schools who had put out "offers" to this set of twins from Canada. "No, we have not offered them. This has been going on for two years. We get asked about offering them all of the time."  The recruits had no offers. None. If they have no offers at Division II, can they play D-1?
      The lesson to be learned here is simple. If you are being recruited, understand what the word "offer" means. Number two, if you do not have an offer, do not say that you do. Colleges are going to check on you. One young recruit in Ohio had his media day set. But he did not check with his school of choice about making the announcement. The "offer" from the school of his choice was based on some individual changes. Simply put - it did not work out.
      The twin recruits from Ottawa, Canada, will have to do more searching on the internet. They must learn what the word "offer" means. Since I am just a "Mom and Pops" guy, I do not have the reruiting budget to help them. Plus, I am an Ohio High School football person. That is a full time job.

No comments: