Sunday, April 21, 2013

Football Recruiting is a Business

       Last week, I blogged about players that I hoped that I did not leave off my Ohio Class of 2014 list. Think that I listed 11 prospects and put a number beside watch one. The number was not where I rated them in the state. The order was not where I rated them in the state. I re-read the blog a few times and could not find where I said that these were the top players in Ohio.
      Surprised that I had so many visits to read the blog. I never read anyother sites, but one of my McDonald's guys said that he read the blog on the O-Zone. Flattering, but the real recruiting writers are the ones who can rate players. I just provide information.
      Concerning the Ohio List of the 2014 Class, I think that I had roughly 180 prospects listed. I received some emails from parents whose sons were not on the list. Some had not started a varsity game. I understand. Some just do not have the size or speed. I understand. After the summer camps, I will update my list.
      Finally, I do not think that I am being honest with a player, if I "blow him up," and he should not be. Not fair to the high school player.
      The problem is that we are guilty of making some prospect's potential more than it is. That to me is worrying about money and a recruiting reporter's ego, more than a prospect's well being. Now, I am not going to change the recruiting craziness. But college coaches, college recruiting fans, print media, and recruiting reporters can really make it hard for a football recruit. But promoting a prospect through internet media is part of the recruiting process and it is only going to get bigger.
        This morning a high school school football was telling me about the recruiting visit that his player had taken recently. Some good things happened, but the ending was not good. Communication went silent.
        Football recruiting is a business. At times, it can turn into an ugly business. College coaches have a job to do, plain and simple  - WIN football games and get the best players. Recruiting reporters and media have a job to do, plain and simple - Get players exposure, keep recruiting followers happy, and make money. McCallister, plain and simple - honest evaluations and promote players. 
       A parent emailed me last week and called me the "most unbaised and honest" recruiting person in the business, including coaches. Nice compliment and I wished it were true.
      As a parent, be so patient with the "noise" that you hear from anyone (including McCallister) involved with high school football recruiting. Recruiting is a BUSINESS. A fun time, that can sometimes can get really negative. Sometimes a college coach does not say,"Goodbye-Good luck."

No comments: