Sunday, May 20, 2012

Always Evaluating Football Prospects

Friday I did something really questionable as far as my financial situation goes. While I was in Tiffin, ohio picking up some pool supplies, I stopped to watch some of the District Track Meet at Columbian High School. How far does one go with regards to evaluting high school football players.

The ticket was six dollars. Needed a program, which was another two dollars. Thank goodness I was not hungry. The problem was that I only watched the high jump, discus, 110 meter hurdles, 100 meter dash, and the 4X100 meter relay. I spent eight dollars, which I could have used at Arby's for my dinner.

At the discus event, I watched Norwalk's Donald Eastman who is the Class of 2013 and plays on the OL at Norwalk. Powerful and explosive. Hoped that he was little taller. One that I will evaluate this fall. Mike Brown(2012) from Sandusky is a beast. Recruiters were concerned about his height. Watched him since his sophomore year.

One of the prospects who I really wanted to see was Marion Harding sophomore AJ Jones. Friday was not a good day for him. His 11.1/100 meter time was tops coming into the finals. His 6'2 high jump was one of the better heights coming into the high jump event. AJ did not qualify for the regionals in either event. But I like his potential. Talked with for a few minutes. Bright and sharp. All of 5'10, he is explosive. Needs to continue to get stronger.

Also watched Findlay's Joseph Davidson run the high hurdles. Solid 15.5 hurdler. Although I did not see the 300 meter hurdles final, Joe did have a 42.5 qualifying time. Always amazing to me is that he is 6'6-6'7 and very athletic. Like him on the football field, too. Plays free safety and wide receiver. I think that he be "red-zone" guy or a tight end at the next level.

Skylar Reffner(2012) from Fremont Ross ran in the 100 finals, but did not place. Skylar is going to play football at Ashland next fall. When I coached and taught at Lakota High School many years ago, I had Skylar's dad in freshman English class. Eventually, MAC coaches will realize that they missed the boat on Skylar Reffner.

The running event finals started at 5:30. Now I really enjoy track meets, but too much work to do on my four acres outside of Upper Sandusky. But in reality, all I wanted to see were Jones, Davidson, and Reffner. There are some relay members who I have to follow-up. But it cost me eight dollars.



No comments: