Monday, January 21, 2013

Jordan Lauf - Napoleon two sport guy

Last fall I made the trip to Napoleon High School to watch Sylvania Southview play Napoleon. To be truthful, I was really interested in three players from Southview. I also wanted to see a young man who had been to our combine, Bryant Schlade. That night the player who really impressed me was a senior wide receiver, Jordan Lauf.

On the way home from the MHSFCA Clinic in Kalamazoo, I stopped by Southview High School to watch Napoleon play basketball. Again, I wanted to watch two Southview football players play basketball. Also, Bryant Schlade played basketball. This night the player who really impressed me was University of Toledo basketball commit, 6'5 Jordan Lauf.

Southview players. WR J J Pinckney (2014) is an intriguing athlete. On the football field, he makes acrobatic catches, but drops some very catchable balls. Like his quickness. Can separate. Really can play DB, if needs to. Really slender 6'3 frame. On the hardwood, plays much the same. Really wish that he were more consistent. DB Nate Hall (2014) has been a favorite of mine since he was a freshman. Solid free safety. Understands pass coverage. Long and needs to add weight. Did not play in the game I saw last year because of injury. May need to be more nasty. Also had a chance to visit with DE Ryan Stout. Hurt his knee during wrestling, but will be fully recovered soon. Listed at 6'4-245, I think that Ryan's best chance is to grow into an offensive lineman. He likes DE. Great attitude and is nasty.

Napoleon's Bryant Schlade, listed at 6'0-205, works hard on the basketball court, but football is his sport. Great attitude, but may not have the combination speed or size to play on the D-1 level. At least not yet. Need to see what happens the rest of the off season. Rumor is that he is trying to get into the Naval Academy. Class kid.

The player who continues to impress me is Jordan Lauf. Last year, he went out for football to be with his friends. Played WR and some FS. In the game against Southview, he made some excellent catches. Two, he climbed to catch. Surprised me with ability to separate. Not great speed, but believe that he could get faster. I just liked hi receiver mentality and skills. Found out that he was committed to UT to play hoops. End of story. Southview football is very, very good. That night, Jordan was the best football prospect on the field. That night.

Last Friday, I enjoyed watching him play basketball. Thought that he did a good job with a struggling team. Of course, McCallister is no Thad Matta, when it comes to judging basketball talent. I always use former Upper Sandusky basketball player Jon Diebler as my measuring stick. "Jonny D" was a pretty good player. Jordan needs to "take over " games, but he was the best player on the floor that night.

Football recruiting followers will not see Jordan's name on any list. He is committed to play basketball at Toledo, a much improving basketball program. Too late now, but I really believe in the "big picture," and given time, Jordan Lauf could be a really good wide receiver on a MAC level team.

But what do I know. Southview's Shaun Joplin, the son of a former college basketball coach, is playing football at Bowling Green. A red-shirt junior, Shaun is one of the top receivers for the Falcons. He was a solid basketball high school basketball player, but I really liked him as a wide receiver.

If you think my thoughts on Jordan Lauf are selfish, I have another player who may be missing the "big picture." Pickerington Central's Jae'sean Tate (2014), listed 6'4-195, has committed to play basketball at Ohio State. Remember, I am no Thad Matta. But Jae'sean started as a LB his sophomore year on a very good football team. Came out this year, the seventh week of the season and played well. Jae'sean Tate really impresses me on the football field. But Coach Matta impresses me as a basketball coach.

Back to Jordan Lauf. I wish him the very best, and he can play any sport that he chooses.





No comments: