Tuesday, September 25, 2012

No Wooden Bleachers in Southern Ohio

As I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I had not been to southern Ohio for sometime. Last trip was to Portsmouth five years ago. Recently, I watched Jackson High School and last week, I traveled to Portsmouth and then to Minford High School. Both schools were subjects mentioned in my blogs. For what it means coming from me, but I was really impressed with the "whole picture" of the schools that I visited.

Portsmouth's athletic complex is really top shelf. Turf, plenty of seating, and easy to get to where I want to go. Minford's football field has plenty of seating. No turf, but the grass is really taken care of by the athletic staff. I am making this, because all that I could think of was wooden bleachers, maxing out about fifteen feet high. Also thought the field would be rough and the grass would be high or no grass at all. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Every game that I have attended is the "only game in town." Tremendous small town environment. Local graduates who have played the game and can make the right call everytime are along the ropes. Good bands-lots of noise. Players play hard. Just like in the rural communties in Northwest Ohio, not a a bunch of Division I college prospects, but alot of really good high school players, including D-II and D-III propects.

You have to realize that John McCallister is no "big time guy," being sarcastic about southern Ohio football. After all, growing up in Upper Sandusky is not quite on par with growing up in Upper Arlington. I have a huge respect for small town life and for small town football. Kenton, Ohio plays pretty good football and is one of those small towns in Northwest. Northeast football programs are familiar with names like Coldwater and Marion Local.

I just want the fans in Minford to know that I now know where Minford is and that I  really enjoyed watching the second half last week.

No comments: