Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Lunch Recruiting Meeting

Interesting visit with the parents of an Ohio 2013 Class prospect today. The lunch was good, but exchanging ideas about football recruiting was even better. Their son has a chance to be pretty good.

They have been studying and learning the recruiting process for over a year. Really this is the way to do it. Coming into the junior year, they have some really good ideas of what to expect. They have already made some campus visits. They have attended some "Junior Days." Their son has already been to some summer camps. Honestly, they have a good idea of what to expect from college coaches.

The internet blitz has not really hit them yet. Mainly, because their son is under the media's radar and has not been written about as much as the higher profiled prospects. Colleges know about him. Of course, this is good. In fact, his name is not listed in Scout.com's top one hundred. But , he will be a scholarship guy.

After alot of recruiting talk, the mom asked why I was doing this for free. Colleges pay me for my services. High school prospects pay me nothing. Must admit that I am one of the least expensive services out there. For me, it is not "about the money." Believe it or not, it is not "about the money." I will say, it is getting to be "about the gas." But for now, I will travel to watch a track meet or a baseball game, or a camp. I do not have the big money guys behind me, but at the same time, I do not have a boss making me jump through hoops.

It is all about the kids. Parents are good, high school coaches are good, college coaches are good, but it is always about the kids for me. After 22 years, that should be evident.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for all you do for our young men! I encourage everyone with a young man wishing to play college football to support John and attend McCallister camps and combines.

Kevin T. Houchins Sr.