Monday, October 5, 2009

Under the Radar Seniors

I always become amused at the phrase,"under the rader," when used by the so-called recruiting experts. Rather than admit that they had no clue, they would rather say "under the radar." "Not under everybody's radar," I say to myself. Last week I saw some seniors who need to be evaluated by the college coaches.

I first saw James Flowers,QB from Parma Padua, while watching campers at the Gary Stevens QB Camp. Liked him as a 10th grader, but he was behind a junior who was pretty good. John played some "D," but not until this year, has he been able to show his QB stuff. Has put up some good numbers, but I am really impressed with his QB skills. At 6'3 he can see the field. Runs well enough. Stays in the pocket and has good presence. Becoming more and more comfortable with more reps. Like his arm strength. Moves the chains. Needs to get some interest.

Rashad Frazier, DE from Middletown, looks the part at 6'4-225. Good burst off LOS. Plays low. Room to get much bigger and stronger. Like his closing speed. Has some toughness and can be nasty at times. Rashad moved to Middletown from Maine this past summer. Never played football until this year. I have gotten name his out to my college coaches, and some schools like him already. Good kid who needs a chance.

I may have mentioned Tim Kendrick,DB-Benedictine in an earlier blog, but I will again. Free safety with good range. 6'0-185 frame. Very athletic. Understands coverages and had two picks when I saw him. Plays WR too, but best suited as a FS.

Will mention one junior who should be not be under the radar. Robert Mincey(DE-Fairfield) could be joining Kenny Hayes(Whitmer) and Steve Miller(Canton McKinley) as the top DE prospects in the Class of 2011. At 6'4-240, he can be overpowering at times. Plays pad under pad. Motor always running. Good leverage. Relentless on pursuit angles. Tough enough to do inside, if he gets bigger. Excellent prospect, but only a junior.

Planning to do more with recognizing top underclassmen prospects. I already do mass emailing to my college coaches, but I will try to include my blog readers. Busy time right now.

No comments: