Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The University of Findlay Football Camp

      Last night I really enjoyed myself at the University of Findlay's first football camp under the direction of Head Coach Rob Keys. Not only was it enjoyable, but also profitable for me. Over 170 campers attended. Recruiting coordinator Kory Allen was the camp director.
      In May, I visited the Ashland University football camp. The camp was organized and instruction was really good. This Sunday my plans are to go to the Ohio Dominican University football camp in Columbus. All three schools are D-2 schools with very good football programs. The Division Two level football is really good in Ohio and as the popularity of these camps continues, D-2 programs will continue to get stronger. Move over Michigan D-2 schools.
      The UF Camp was opened to campers entering  9-12 grades in the fall of 2014. The camp was an all positions camp. There were D-1 prospects in both the Classes of 2015 and 2016. For me, I was also able to identify some prospects in the Class of 2017. At this time of the year, anytime I can get information on younger prospects, it is like Christmas time.
      A lot of running, which is good, because I can learn a lot. Find the "benders," find the "burst guys," and find the "change of direction guys." Best of all, I find the guys who want and who do - compete. Good to see players who compete and who show energy.
      Players also were able to do position specific drills and one-on-one drills. Coaches had a lot energy, which spilled over to the players.
      Impressed with a big OL guy from the Toledo area. He ran well and "hustled." Impressed with passing of two QB's. One a junior and one a senior.
      Need to mention one camper. Troy LBer, Marco Anverse has worked really hard over the years to "get better." First watched him as a sophomore. He attended both my camps and combines. Last year he played DE for Troy High School. Believe that he is moving to his natural position of LB this fall. Regardless of position, Marco loves football and will compete. Also really like his improved over-all attitude.
     My policy is to seldom report on campers, because I am a guest. What I see, I keep for my own information. Although my opinions on players have no value, I feel silly being a guest and then giving out information to other colleges. But, there were some really good prospects working out to get better. For others, they got camp experience and a chance to get noticed and to get better.
      For their first "rodeo," the football staff at the University of Findlay did a really good job with their Football Elite Prospect Camp. They were able to involve members of the UF football team. Also visiting coaches were able to help with evaluations. Most of all, campers got coached, got noticed, and got better.
      Division Two football continues to grow and get better in Ohio. High school camps like Findlay and Ashland support this thought. Hopefully, ODU's camp this Sunday will add more support.
      Finally, from a "burned out Oiler," check out the facilities. They have changed some since 1971.
    

No comments: