Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sciotoville Community School - Tyler Gerald

      People who follow my blogs, have read - "If you are good enough, someone will find you." Of course, there are exceptions, but, for the most part, I really believe it. Just too many ways to find prospects. Yesterday, I viewed a HUDL highlight video of sophomore Tyler Gerald, a 6'5-300 offensive lineman from Sciotoville Community School.
     First, tell me where Sciotoville Community School is located. I guessin just on the edge of Portsmouth, Ohio. I am guessin the school used to called Portsmouth East. I am guessin that the school plays in the smallest division in Ohio. But I am also guessin Tyler Gerald is a "diamond in the rough."
     Tyler is 6'5-300 pounds and just made the All-District team. Also plays varsity basketball and carries a 3.5GPA. He plays on both sides of the ball at Sciotoville Community. For sure, he is a member of the Class of 2016.
      For a big man, he is athletic. Runs well. Good hips. If you watch the first play on his highlight video, he bends and keeps his feet moving after, the initial contact. Most of the time, he blocks til the whistle. If you watch him, his athleticism is evident. Once he fell down, as silly as it sounds, he got up off the ground like an athlete. Not as some big 6'5-300 who cannot move. Like his feet on pass protection. But he is still a puppy.
      People will question his "competition." Good point. But I believe that if you could put him on the OL of a much bigger school, and he has the size and athleticism to "fit in" then he has a chance. Plus, he is only a sophomore. A highlight video is just that. Really need to see game video.  For me I really need to see him up and close and personal.
      I spoke with his coach on the phone this morning. Gave him this advice. Since he is going to be a recruit at the Indiana-Ohio State game this Saturday, he will be subject of recruiting stories. According to his coach, he has a story online already. I told him what recruiting writers to be aware of and what to say. Also told him that since Ohio State University knows about him, he needs to pay no money to a recruiting service. None. Finally, I told him to not get overwhelmed with the recruiting process, which is almost impossible. A young coach in a small school setting has his work cut out for him. Even a 65 year old man, standing in front of 105,000 fans and listening to the recruiting pitch might have a problem focusing on reality.
       In the next few weeks, I will be making a trip to southern Ohio. Need to stop at Portsmouth High School, Minford High School, and Ironton High School. Looking forward to visiting Sciotoville Community School to watch Tyler Gerald play basketball. Just seeing a prospect in person means much to me. I am guessin Tyler will be a pleasant surprise.
      Hopefully, "if you are good enough, someone will find you."

No comments: