Thursday, March 8, 2012

McCallister and the OHSFCA

Over the last sixteen years, I have been very fortunate to work with the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association. Working with them has been an exciting time. I get to sit in on healthy discussions in all areas. They use me as an advisor in selecting the "Big 33" team and in selecting both the North-South teams for the annual Ohio North-South game. With the success of the McCallister Scouting Report, I am able to give my "two cents." But, obviously, the head coach and his assistants select the team. I am just there to give them another perspective.

Over the last few years, the OHSFCA has endorsed my directing of high school football combines and summer football camps. This will be the third year and with early registration being heavy, the combines look to be growing. Like anything else, there are good and bad to combines. Bad - If you have some bad times or measurements, the combine could hurt you. But for us, a prospect can cancel his results. Good - Prospects are "coached up." Also, they get a chance to compete. Finally, they get that exposure for recruiting. Just another way, I hope that I am giving back to the OHSFCA.

Working with Coaches' Association is rewarding. For me, no pressure, because I do not vote. I do get to give my opinions at times. If you are a high school coach, I would encourage you to join the Association. This year three young men were not allowed to play in either all-star game, because no football coach belonged to the OHSFCA. Being open-minded, I understand both sides on whether to join the OHSFCA. But I am a "kid's guy," a player deserves a chance to play.

The Ohio High School Football Coaches Association has been good to me. If you are a high school football coach, please give it some thought.

No comments: