Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Congrats to Rambsy, McVey, and Monteroso

Just looking over the All-District football teams and really feel good that I have seen many of the players who have received All-District recognitiion. Recently, I blogged my "two cents" about the relativeness of receiving All-District recogntion to being a Division 1 scholarship prospect. Three players who I want to comment on are Alfred Ramsby, Tim McVey, and Dan Monteroso.

Miami of Ohio may have one of the sharpest recruiting staffs in the MAC. At least they do in their evaluation of Colerain's senior Alfred Rambsy. LA missed last year because of terrible knee injury. Plays QB at Colerain, but at 5'11-185 (listed), Miami wants him as a corner. After watching him play against Elder last weekend, I scratch my head as to why more schools have not offered him. He very well be the most electrifying runner in Ohio. Excellent change of direction, excellent burst, really good top speed. A threat to go the distance everytime he touches the ball. Most of all, he loves to compete. Watching him on the sidelines, he just seems to a nice team player. Of course, he is not very tall.

Cleveland St Ignatius may have the toughest, most competitive running back in Ohio. Buffalo has offered and, I think that he has committed to them. Good choice. RB Tim McVey is 5'10-185(listed), but is a powerful inside and outside runner. Excellent ball catcher. Excellent burst. Track speed. Just like LA Rambsy, McVey is electrifying with ball in his hands. His second, third, and fourth effort make him special. As with LA, Tim is also a total team player. Of course, he is not very tall.

"Of course, he is not very tall." I used that comment for both of these really tough, exciting players. They can run fast. They play really physical. They are very athletic. They can play numerous positions. They are really good young men. By the way, the game in - game out competition they play is not too bad. There is chance that they could play against each other in the OHSAA Division 1 State Football Championship Game. Only two colleges in the Midwest have offered them?????? Yes, I know "Of course, they are not very tall."

This fall I drove to St Clairsville to check out LB Michael Ferns, a Michigan commit. The player that jumped out at me that night was WR Dan Monteroso. Listed 6'3-180, and he may be that tall. Ran really well. Smooth stride. Really athletic. Could separate. Combined with the speed, he caught the ball really well. For me, he had that wide receiver confidence and swagger. I did not see him in camp and only saw him that night. He has committed to Boston College. He was named East All-District Division IV offensive player of the year. Not so sure about what is going on at BC, but I think that he can play.

Glad these young men are getting a chance to show their "stuff" in the playoffs. Coach John Cooper always said, " It is not the size of the dog, but the size of the fight in the dog." With Dan Monteroso, I always say, "If you are good enough, someone will find you."

Being a "MAC Guy," I am a little disappointed.

No comments: