Friday, April 16, 2010

Ohio North South All Star Game

As I have often joked, if you ever want to find me, stop at Upper Sandusky's McD's any morning between 6:15AM and 7AM. As of today, I have yet to read anything promoting the Ohio North-South football game to be held next Friday, April 23, at Ohio Stadium. Yes, the date is correct.
So, I guess I will promote the game.

No secret that the game has lost money for a long time. For years and years. Way back in my head football coaching days, I attended the All-Star game in Canton. Then it moved to Massillon. A few years ago, a Columbus business group convinced the association to move the game to Columbus. The problem there was that Central Ohio fans(not high school coaches) could care less. Plus, everybody made money, except the OHSFCA. Trust me, I know.

This year the game has been moved to Ohio Stadium. Yes, the night before the annual O-State Spring game. Under the lights, the game will kickoff at 7:00. The cost is $5.00. No conflict with the Big 33 game this year. No major conflict with getting some of the top college prospects to play in the game.

Since there is no conflict with the Big 33, many of the top prospects in Ohio will be playing. I just have not looked at a roster to see who exactly is playing in the game. I am involved with the Big 33 selection, but help with the North-South selection,s when the need arises. Now how silly is this? I am not a great proponent of the Big 33 game for a number of reasons, but love the North-South game.

The Ohio-State band is going to perform. That alone is worth the $5 dollar ticket. Also, rumor has it that many of the O-State football players will be in attendance. Of course, those guys(justifiably so) are approachable. Hint-hint. Also, you will see some future Buckeyes in the game.

The OHSFCA Regional Directors have put much effort into this game. Ed Terwilliger(Olentangy) and Steve Channel(Edgewood) are co-directors and put in endless time in co-ordinating the game.

Hope to see you at the game. I have always believed that O-State fans should not have to travel to Hershey PA to watch future Buckeyes play. For most, Columbus is a short drive to watch many of Ohio's top college prospects play football. Enjoy the $5 show!!!

No comments: